2017 2.2 Sportsman Build
24/01/2017 Post by : William Gauderman
Well its that time... Time to freshen up collection and build an new sportsman rig...
This rig will replicate my last build very closely. It lasted nearly 3 years, never let me down and was the best driving comp rig I owned. This Spider build will see some small changes. I've learned that less is more sometimes, you won't see a ton of fancy bling on this rig, just components needed to be strong, light and preform well.
Rough Parts Pile above includes:
Fast Eddy Bearing Kit (a Must)
Nylon Spur Gear (smooth as silk, thanks sourdojack)
Axial UD/OD Gears
HR Aluminum Center gear set
RcBros Burly Tubes front
VP Knuckles and Chubs
Parma Xciter Body
Futaba HV S9177SV (stepping up to try something new)
Holmes BR Mini
Holmes Custom RcBros 520 Handwound Motor
Extreme Gear lube thanks for a random member
CI Foams as always
RcBros Egressor Shocks with all the goodies
RcBros Knuckle weights
RcBros 3 Piece CF wheels
RcBros Front and Rear 4 link mounts
Started with the rear axle as it was the easiest . Weight on this rig isn't my biggest concern, but it is fun measuring weight in different parts and not sacrificing strength in the process.
I had holmes and incision lockers to choose from so I decided to see where they compared on the scale.
So we decided to use the incision lockers with under drive gears in the rear axle.
When we do the burly tubes up front and convert the sporty to XR10 width we have to do something to the rear to get close to the same width.
You either flip your 3 piece wheels backwards, Run extreme wheel hubs or you can use yeti lockouts and curry center vp axles. I was curious to see where the yeti lockout combo compares to that of a stock or vp AX10 lockout.
VP lockout and VP SCX10 Axle
Yei Lockout and Curry Axle
Stock lockout and VP SCX10 Axle
Planning to use the RcBros 3 piece wheels, I chose to stick with my stock AX10 Lockout with the VP axle.
To finish the rear end I'll be use the RcBros rear 4 link mount, but this go around I'm flipping the link mounts to the underside. This did require a slight modification to the delrin mounts, but a quick and easy task using the dremel.
Next was the transmission... Weighing in at 74G with all stock bearings and gears.
Sourdojack came over to help with assembly, thank you Tom!
Went with the Hot Racing Aluminum gear set. Also added a Next Level Ti shaft from CKRC, VP outdrives. Robinson Racing Delrin Machined Spur and no slipper. Still need to get a CG motor mount.
Chassis will obviously be the RcBros Rock Spider chassis. A real Delrin skid plate (not UHMW or other plastic, REAL DELRIN), aluminum spacers and stainless hardware. Adjustable front and rear shock mounts.
Mounted up a Holmes 520 motor and this little guy is almost ready to play!
The front axle got the Incision Locker, Over Drive Gears, Fast Eddie bearings, VP Knuckles and Chubs and RcBros Burly tubes
A nice touch, if your not aware are these King pin screws from Tamiya. They are a must have IMO.
Anyone guess by the picture below what I forgot to order?
Assembled, now time to cut them up
I wanted to use Vanquish's VXD axles on this build. VP is kind enough to sell the pieces to order just the longs, and frankly with a dremel and some patience the mod is very easy.
I didn't use any measuring devices here other then my eyeball. I installed the assembled long shaft into the VP Chubs and Knuckle.
I then pulled the back axle half off leaving the burly tubes installed. Then I lined the chub up with the inner portion of the burly tube splines and marked where I thought the shaft would need cut.
Using the dremel I cut the shaft to length. Then with alot of patience, I tried my best to evenly grind down to flats on the shaft. I was able to get a very snug fit into the incision locker.
If you can use a dremel, you can do this mod.
I don't know where the heat treat is at on these, but I did take care to ensure the shaft didn't get very hot. I'm pretty confident these should last. Time will tell.
It's really been fun tinkering on this rig and getting back to the route of why I originally loved this hobby. No fancy tools, no big wallet, just a clean fun sporty build.
I've had a stock pile of VP Ti links here for some time, it made suspension mock up extremely easily. I think I'm just a hair over legal length currently, but I do plan to bend the lower links so things will change.
I needed to mock the suspension up so I could finish up the electronics.
Cut up a new electronics mount to go in between the front link mounts.
Soldered everything together and then bound to the radio.
I prefer to cut all my ESC, BEC, and servo wires and recrimp new ends on them. Its easy and quick to do if you have the right tool.
Now that I have everything shortened and mock up complete, everything will get conformal coated.
Electronics have been conformal coated and heat shrunk on to my mount. CF does conduct electricity, so I may sure to install 3M double sided foam on the bottom side of electronics.
Tom-foolery came over and nailed out the rear links.
He has this killer ebay Tailan tube bender which allows you to bend two links at one time.
All the links used are from VP, no custom mods other then the two rear bends.